Friday, June 27, 2008

Extended Play



Joseph Arthur (pictured above) is releasing four EPs before he releases his full length album.I have only heard the third EP Vagabond Skies so I cannot speak about the whole endeavor, but I would like to discuss EPs. EP is short for Extended Play and wikipedia does a better job of explaing all that stuff than I can. Basically longer than a single, but shorter than a LP. When looking at the back catalog a band's EPs are usually not must hears, but they are great for getting a feel for a new artist. Tokyo Police Club's A Lesson in Crime and Voxtrot's Raised By Wolves are the examples that come to mind for me. As somebody who posts mp3s online it is obvious that individual songs are what grabs people's attention a lot of the time. I also get bored pretty easily sometimes so there is that.

Joseph Arthur - Pretty Good Company